My brother and his family love taco Tuesdays and we always eat them vegetarian style.
Vegetarian tacos are loaded with antioxidants and healthy fiber. The toppings have a combination of fiber and phytonutrients to support anti-aging, and reduce chronic diseases like heart disease, high cholesterol, and diabetes. Makes 8 servings.
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- ½ cup of red onions, diced
- ½ cup of green bell peppers, diced
- ¼ cup of cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ cups of black beans or (15 ounce can, drained)
- 1 cup of corn kernels
- ½ of lime, fresh squeezed
- 8 crispy tacos or soft tacos
- 1 cup of romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1 cup of tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup of guacamole – see recipe
- 1 cup of lime cilantro rice or leftover rice
- *1 cup of vegan cheese – optional
- 2 cups of piquant tomato sauce
- Add oil to sauce pan over medium heat; then add, onions, bell peppers, cilantro, cumin, salt and black pepper. Sauté for 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, black beans, corn and heat for another 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add lime juice.
- Fill the taco shell with the taco filling and add your favorite toppings.
- Top with 1 teaspoon of the piquant tomato sauce and serve.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 317, Total Fat: 7 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 55 g, Fiber: 5 g, Sugars: 3 g, Protein: 12 g, Sodium: 300 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg
If you love this recipe and want more then you can buy Eat More Plants here!