Everyone loves pancakes! This recipe has a balance of soluble fiber, healthy oils and protein that ward off sugar spikes and crashes. Balanced blood sugar levels prevent the storage of extra sugar as body fat. This is a gluten-free option as long as you use gluten-free oats. Makes 4 servings.
2 teaspoons of ground flax seeds
2 teaspoons of coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/4 cup of almond milk (or other substitute)
2 teaspoons of maple syrup
1 cup of gluten-free oat flour*
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 pinch nutmeg
Coconut oil for cooking
1/2 cup of walnuts
1 banana cut into slices
1. In a large bowl place the bananas and mash them up into a pudding like consistency. Add flax seeds, coconut oil, vanilla, almond milk and maple syrup; mix well.
2. *In a blender or a grinder take the gluten-free oats and grind until they become meal or flour.
3. In a small bowl add the oat flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg; mix together, then add to the wet ingredients in the large bowl.
4. Let the batter rest for 5 minutes.
5. Add a teaspoon of coconut oil to a cast iron skillet.
6. Add about 2 tablespoons of the batter; cook for about 3 minutes on each side. (Both sides should be brown and slightly crunchy).
7. Serve with walnuts, fresh banana slices and a touch of maple syrup.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 399, Total Fat: 15 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Carbs: 56 g, Fiber: 7 g, Sugars: 10 g, Protein: 13 g, Sodium: 18 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg