Ideas for How to Eat a Healthy Breakfast When You are Eating Out
Does eating out when you are traveling cause you stress? Are you worried that you can't make healthy choices when you are on vacation?
You don't have to worry you can eat healthy by understanding a few basic rules.
Here they are:
- Eat a hearty breakfast to get your metabolism running smoothly and ready for the day
- Make sure to include protein as part of your breakfast
- Eat fruits or vegetables to get in fiber during the day.
- When you are reading the menu options look for foods that have proteins. Typical breakfast protein options are eggs, bacon, sausage, smoked salmon, yogurt, cheese or nuts. If you are choosing bacon or sausage consider lean options like turkey or vegetarian options if they are available. Once you have selected a protein option you will want to have a fruit or vegetable to accompany it.
- Fruits are a pretty common options for breakfast too. You can choose from a fruit plate, oatmeal, cereal, yogurt, granola or pancakes with fresh fruit served on top. If you like eggs add vegetables to your omelet or scrambled eggs. When you have a combination of eggs with vegetable and herbs everything taste better. There are many ways to add vegetables for breakfast or brunch too. If you are eating brunch ask for a small salad to accompany your eggs or omelets.
- You can also consider non-traditional breakfast options that have your favorite flavors.
- Here is a personal example from my travels just a few days ago. I was visiting friends and we decided to eat brunch out Friday morning. My friends chose a Tex-Mex restaurant with brunch options. Huevos Rancheros are one my favorite Tex-Mex treats! Whenever I eat breakfast I always look for a combination of proteins and vegetables - this is perfect. The eggs, black beans, cheese are great protein sources. The tomato sauce, black beans, corn tortilla avocado are packed with fiber. This combination helps to stabilize blood sugars and provide sustained energy for the day. The herbs and spices used to cook the foods made a every bite delicious. I felt satiated and I was ready for a fun day packed with activities.
- When you are traveling make sure to add breakfast to your most important things to do. It will keep you healthy and happy while you are away from home!