Black Bean Butternut Squash Soup
I love black beans and butternut squash so why not put them together and make a hearty chili. This is super easy and tasty!
Butternut squash is a food with powerful anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. During the winter months these properties make it a superfood.
Black Bean are no sloush either! They are high in antioxidant qualities and anti inflammatory properties that are both important for immune function!
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 1 teaspoon of Sea salt
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 1½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 6 cups of Vegetable stock
- 6 garlic cloves chopped
- 4 cups of butternut squash chopped into pieces (many stores have pre-cut squash making it even easier)
- 2 ( 15oz) can of black bean
- ½ lime squeezed
- Heat oil and add onion, celery and a pinch of salt.
- Cook for 3 minutes add nutmeg,chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes.
- Cook until onions are translucent and the spices start to stick to the pot.
- Add ½ cup of vegetable broth to de-glaze the pan.
- Add garlic, butternut squash and rest of the vegetable broth.
- Cover and cook at a rolling boil for 15-20 minutes until soft.
- Add beans and a pinch of salt and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Squeeze with lime and serve.